HEAD 19 Meeting
Dependent Care Grants
HEAD Dependent Care Grants
The High Energy Astrophysics Division encourages participation by all our members in all our activities. To help support those with family or dependent obligations, the HEAD offers (through the generosity of one of its members, who prefers to remain anonymous) Dependent Care Grants. These Grants provide some financial support (up to $500) to help defray the cost of childcare or other dependent care expenses that HEAD members might incur when participating in Divisional meetings or other activities.
To apply, please fill out the Dependent Care Grant Application form. Division members are limited to one (1) dependent care grant per family per meeting.
Applications for grants to attend the 19th Divisional meeting should be received by the HEAD Secretary no later than 1 March 2022.
The financial burden of child and adult dependent care affects the Division's members. The impact can be so great that it often prevents attendance at meetings, especially for early career scientists or those at small institutions with limited funding. The AAS and its Divisions are committed to helping members with dependents attend meetings; therefore, members may apply for subsidized dependent care services during a meeting, for use either at the meeting location or at home.
Who is eligible to apply?
Appropriate Divisional membership at the time of award selection is required. You must be a HEAD member or affiliate to apply for a dependent care grant to attend a HEAD meeting. Members must pay for their meeting registration before a grant can be received.
Who qualifies as a dependent?
A dependent is defined as 1) a minor 12 years of age or younger who resides with the applicant and for whom the applicant provides primary support, or 2) a disabled person regardless of age who spends at least eight hours per day in the applicant’s home and for whom the applicant has responsibility.
Which expenses will be eligible for reimbursement?
Dependent care grants are intended to reimburse the following categories of expenses:
- Airfare for a caregiver (e.g., family member, au pair, nanny, sitter) to fly to the meeting location to assist with dependent care for child(ren) age 12 or younger, elderly, ill, or disabled family members able to travel
- Airfare for child(ren) age 12 or younger, elderly, ill, or disabled family members traveling to the meeting
- Costs for dependent care at the meeting (e.g., onsite babysitting, daycare or elder care service local to the meeting venue; local custodial child care, elder care, and/or expenses for care of elderly or other family members that the applicant usually provides; or paying for a nanny or other caregiver's labor)
- Costs for additional dependent care at home incurred due to member's absence during the meeting (e.g., caregiver's labor, before and after school or extended day programs, late pick-up fees, day camps that are custodial in nature and not educational, daycare centers, custodial child care / elder care, or expenses for care of elderly or other family members that the applicant usually provides)
Dependent care grants are NOT intended to reimburse the following categories of expenses:
- Childcare, elder care, or dependent care expenses at home that would normally be incurred (e.g., aftercare at school, dependent care that is provided on an on-going basis)
- Meals or groceries for the attendee, dependent(s), or the caregiver while at the meeting location
- Meeting registration
- Other expenses not associated with the additional care or travel of the dependent(s) or caregiver
Reimbursement will be made after all travel is completed. All expenses must be justified with a receipt for reimbursement. All receipts must be submitted to the the HEAD Treasurer within one month of the end of the meeting.
Please see the AAS Dependent Grants Page for additional information.