Gift of Securities
The AAS is happy to work with you on making gifts of publicly traded securities that have appreciated in value. These gifts often provide a greater tax benefit than an equivalent gift in cash. You can claim a charitable deduction for the full market value of the securities on the date the gift is made. Gifts of securities are also not subject to the capital gains tax.
How to Make Your Gift
Please contact Diane Frendak in the AAS Giving Office by calling 202-328-2010 x109 before making a gift of securities so your account can be properly credited .
The most secure and simple way to donate stocks, bonds, or mutual funds is to transfer the securities to the AAS broker by wire. Be sure to give clear instructions to transfer, not sell, the securities. The information you need to share with your broker will be available soon.
You're also welcome to use a trusted delivery service such as FedEx to mail your stock certificates. Here's how to complete the three-part process:
- Do not endorse the back of the certificate(s). Please sign and date a stock power form for each certificate. The power form is available from your attorney or broker.
- Send the certificate(s) directly to the AAS Giving Office, Attn: D. Frendak, 1667 K Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20006.
- In a separate envelope, send the stock power form(s) directly to the AAS Finance Office, Attn: K. Clark, 1667 K Street NW, Suite 800, Washington, DC 20006.
Mailing the unsigned stock certificate(s) and power form(s) separately helps prevent theft. Retain the dated receipt from your delivery service for your tax records.
Charitable IRA Rollover
If you are 70½ or older, you may transfer up to $100,000 from your IRA to the American Astronomical Society. The amount of the transfer will not be included in your taxable income, and the transferred amount can count toward the IRA's required minimum distribution for the year.
This opportunity applies only to certain types of IRAs. Please consult with your financial advisor to see whether the charitable IRA is a good choice for you.
How to Make Your Gift
By wire transfer:
Please have your IRA custodian contact Diane Frendak in the AAS Giving Office by calling 202-328-2010 x109.
Contact your IRA custodian and instruct them to mail a check directly to the AAS (address below), payable to the American Astronomical Society, with the following instructions:
- Your name
- The purpose of your gift (e.g. AAS General Fund, Tinsley Prize, HEAD Schramm Award)
- Confirmation that the funds are from a qualified charitable IRA distribution
AAS Giving Office
Attn: D. Frendak
1667 K Street NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20006