History: Established at the 188th Meeting, June 1996 in Madison, Wisconsin by restructuring the educational activities of the AAS particularly by merging the Astronomy Education Advisory Board and the ad hoc Astronomy Education Policy Board and was named the Astronomy Education Board. The newly constituted term began June 1997. The name changed to the Education Committee in August 2017.
Members: Members will be appointed by the Board of Trustees. Ex-Officio members will include the Director of Education Activities, the Executive Officer, and the President.
There shall be 10 voting members of the Education Committee, nine serving in rotation for terms of three years, dating from the Annual Business meeting following their election, and the tenth being the Education Committee Chair. Each year the Board of Trustees shall elect new Education Committee Members as required from a slate proposed by the Nominating Committee in consultation with the Education Committee Chair.
Term: Three years, June to June; staggered, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Charge: The Education Committee is charged with oversight of the educational activities of the AAS. The Committee will (1) provide advice on educational activities to the Board of Trustees, the Executive Officer, and the Education and Outreach Coordinator, and periodically will (2) examine the full range of educational activities in which the Society and its members are currently involved; (3) review the context in which investments in science education are being made by Federal and State agencies; (4) recommend optimal mechanisms for developing an effective education strategy for the astronomical community; (5) recommend appropriate roles for the AAS in exercising leadership in education; and (6) suggest and implement education-related AAS activities consistent with the mission, goals, and strategic plan of the Society.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES LIAISON
- Kimberly A. Coble, Chair (Jun 2018 - Jun 2020)
San Francisco State University
1600 Holloway Ave.
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
San Francisco, CA 94132 United States
- Janelle M. Bailey (Jun 2018 - Jun 2020)
- Gina Brissenden (Jun 2013 - Jun 2020); Note: Staff Liaison
- Mary Crone-Odekon (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- Jacqueline K. Faherty (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- John J. Feldmeier (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- Puragra Guhathakurta (Jun 2017 - Jun 2020)
- Sarah Higdon (Jun 2017 - Jun 2020)
- Kevin B. Marvel (Jun 2013 - Jun 2020); Note: Ex officio
- Karen L. Masters (Jun 2018 - Jun 2020)
- Luisa M. Rebull (Jun 2018 - Jun 2020)
- Travis A. Rector (Jun 2017 - Jun 2020)