55th DPS Meeting
Plan Your Trip
Food & Drink: LOC Recommendations
San Antonio has a rich culinary diversity, including options for all dietary needs (several indicated here). For vegetarians, note that many restaurants in town serve sides of beans (boracho beans) that include pieces of bacon (many times, not clearly indicated on menus), so be sure to ask your server.
- Hash Vegan Eatery (https://www.hashveganeatery.com/) is a bar with non-alcoholic drinks only.
- Dough Pizzeria Napoletana (https://www.doughpizzeria.com/) is awesome and also has gluten-free pizza options.
- Pharm Table (https://pharmtable.com/) has plant-forward meal options.
- Plantaqueria (https://www.plantaqueria.com/) for plant-based tacos and more.
- Acenar (https://acenar.com/) for tex-mex and river views.
- The County Line (https://countyline.com/) for real Texas BBQ.
- Maverick Texas Brasserie (http://mavericktexas.com/) for a Texas twist on a European staple.
- Toro Kitchen + bar (http://www.torokitchenandbar.com/) for Tapas with a speak-easy underneath (look for the red phone on the wall).
- Menger Hotel Bar (https://www.mengerhotel.com/san-antonio-restaurants/menger-bar) is very historic and very haunted.
- Fairmont Rooftop Oyster Bar (https://www.siloelevatedcuisine.com/locations/fairmount-rooftop-oyster-…) for a great view of the Hemisfair park.
- Rosario’s ComidaMex Bar (https://rosariossa.com/), gay-friendly/owned with a great rooftop and a contemporary mexican menu.
- The Esquire Tavern (https://www.esquiretavern-sa.com/) on the Riverwalk has a great history with great cocktails (the downstairs is good for groups).
- Battalion (https://www.battalionsa.com/) offers the best modern Italian food in town.
- Bliss (https://www.foodisbliss.com/) serves upscale, contemporary American cuisine with a seasonal menu based on local ingredients.
- The Friendly Spot (https://thefriendlyspot.com/) is one of the best neighborhood beer gardens around, with science-event and gay-friendly owners.
- Blue Star Brewing (https://bluestarbrewing.com), home to Astronomy on Tap SATX (https://astronomyontap.org/locations/san-antonio-tx/), has both a full restaurant in the Blue Star Art Complex (https://www.bluestarartscomplex.com/) south of downtown along the river and an “Ice House” kiosk on Main Plaza for their local craft beer.
- Moon's Daughter (https://themoonsdaughters.com/), great view from rooftop patio.
- Maverick Whiskey (https://maverickwhiskey.com/) has ties to the family name turned adjective with a fun tour.
- La Panadería (https://lapanaderia.com/) provides authentic Mexican bakery-derived sandwiches and pastries, and coffee-shop style espresso drinks (great for breakfast).
- Estate Coffee Company (https://www.estatecoffeecompany.com/) is the closest locally roasted coffee-shop, one of many great ones in town.
- Be Kind and Rewind (https://www.bekindandrewindsa.com/) bar and dance club is the newest around, with a fun retro 80’s and 90’s vibe.
- Smoke Texas Skybar (https://smokedowntown.com/) is a large outdoor beer garden and BBQ joint with a sports-bar atmosphere.
- Pinkerton’s Barbecue (https://pinkertonsbarbecue.com/) is the most authentic Texas BBQ (served on brown paper) in the heart of downtown in a park at the base of Frost Tower.