55th DPS Meeting
Tools & Resources
Here are several details on reproductive health resources, thanks to help from the cross-AG EDIA working-group (https://www.lpi.usra.edu/idea/working-group/).
A large, quiet nursing room is available on the 5th floor, including a sink and a small refrigerator. See the registration desk to check out the key-cards to the room.
In June 2022, the US Supreme Court issued a ruling that overturned recognition of access to abortion as a constitutional right; several states have restricted abortion access as a result. These recent changes to the legal landscape have raised concerns about travel for many in our community, especially those who may need unexpected or emergency access to reproductive healthcare. Before you travel, we recommend contacting your institution’s Staff Benefits Office or insurance company for information and clarification on coverage for medical-related travel costs, access to benefits, and other institutional resources.
- Fact Sheet on Abortion in Texas from the American Civil Liberties Union, with links to resources for logistical and/or financial support: https://www.aclutx.org/en/know-your-rights/abortion-texas
- Q&A on Texas abortion law from the Texas Tribune: https://www.texastribune.org/2022/06/24/texas-abortion-law-answers/
- Abortion remains legal in many states, and other reproductive health care services remain protected by law. This website provides information on reproductive rights from the US Department of Health & Human Services: https://reproductiverights.gov/
- State-by-state guide on access to abortion: https://www.abortionfinder.org/abortion-guides-by-state
- The National Network of Abortion Funds has a comprehensive list of organizations that provide logistical and/or financial support (many are accepting donations): https://abortionfunds.org/fund/fund-texas-choice/
Nearby emergency pregnancy care:
- University Health: https://www.universityhealth.com/services/pregnancy-childbirth
- Methodist Healthcare: https://sahealth.com/specialties/high-risk-pregnancy/
Contact person for medical emergencies: Kurt Retherford ([email protected]), local host.
Planned Parenthood, 2140 Babcock Road, San Antonio, 78229.
See also the WIPS lunch event.