Once every ten years, the astronomical communities gather panels of experts to set community-wide priorities for the coming decade. These surveys are facilitated by the National Academies and commissioned by the Federal agencies. The most recent surveys were completed between 2010 and 2013.
Near the half-way point of each decadal survey, the National Academies convenes a new panel of experts to evaluate progress on the priorities set forth by the current decadal survey. Only the progress on the priorities is considered, not the priorities themselves. Based on their assessment of the progress, the midterm review committee will make recommendations to the agencies and the community about how to proceed through the second half of the decade.
Survey of the Surveys: Lessons Learned from the Decadal Survey Process
The National Academies convened an ad-hoc committee to identify best practices of the decadal survey process. The resulting report also presented possible changes that could improve the process and identified challenges that surveys will likely face in the future.
The midterm assessment of Visions and Voyages was released in August 2018.
Astronomy and Astrophysics
Preparations for Astro2020 are underway, with an expected release of mid-2020.
Most recent decadal surveys
The decadal surveys are available for free download from the National Academies Press with an online account.
|New Worlds, New Horizons in Astronomy and Astrophysics (2010)||Vision and Voyages for Planetary Science
in the Decade 2013-2022 (2011)
|Solar and Space Physics: A Science for
a Technological Society (2013)
Links to additional informational on each decadal survey:
- New Worlds, New Horizons in Astronomy and Astrophysics
- Vision and Voyages for Planetary Science in the Decade 2013-2022
- Solar and Space Physics: A Science for a Technological Society
Previous decadal surveys:
- The National Research Council Report New Frontiers in the Solar System: An Integrated Exploration Strategy
- The National Research Council Report The Sun to the Earth--and Beyond: A Decadal Research Strategy in Solar and Space Physics
- The National Research Council Report Astronomy and Astrophysics in the New Millennium