Space on the Hill is a semi-regular briefing series, co-sponsored with the Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory (SAO). These briefings are designed to educate Hill staff about the astronomical sciences.
Check back later to learn more about the next briefing!
- 20 June 2017 - Is There Life on Other Planets?: Dr. Mercedes Lopez-Morales, Dr. Sarah Ballard, and Dr. Charles Alcock will address the question: is there life on other planets?
- 2 May 2017 – Shedding Light on Black Holes: Dr. Laura Brenneman and Dr. Martin Elvis, both of SAO, discussed some of the ways that scientists study black holes and why. A Facebook Live recording has been made available.
- 13 September 2016 – Anatomy of a Space Mission: Dr. Nicola Fox, Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab, discussed some of the ways that the Sun can impact the planning for a space mission.
- 17 May 2016 – A Mission to Touch the Sun: Dr. Justin Kasper, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, discussed the Solar Probe Plus mission, which will be placed in orbit around the Sun.
- 20 April 2016 – Cloudy with a Chance of Solar Flares: Dr. Harlan Spense (University of New Hampshire), Dr. Kelly Korreck (SAO), and Dr. Alex Young (Goddard Space Flight Center, NASA) discussed the many ways that space weather impacts everyday life.