Council Actions AAS 221
The following actions were taken by the AAS Council at their January 2013 meeting in Long Beach, California.
- Accepted 2013 Prize awards from the various AAS Prize Committees
- Approved the Minutes of the 220th Meeting (Anchorage, AK) as distributed.
- Approved Executive Committee interim actions as presented.
- Commended the Publications Board for its success in finding a new operational normal after years of challenging improvements, its vigilance in monitoring publication trends, potential new publication technologies, and reader-friendly improvements, and for organizing a futures meeting to probe new structures for AAS journals and technological opportunities for improvements.
- Approved 2013 Budget Adjustments as presented.
- Approved the 2013 AAS Appointments Committee recommendations for Prize Committees.
- Approved the amendments and revisions to the AAS Bylaws as presented in http://aas.org/files/resources/aas_bylaws_2012.pdf
- Approved requested HEAD By-Laws amendments.
- Approved an official and permanent appointment of the AAS Executive Officer to the Publications Board as an ex officio member.
- Ratified the AGU statement on Climate Change.
- Approved that an AAS Representatives Program be established.
- Appointed Joseph W. Richards to the AAS Employment Committee.
- Adopted a resolution from the AAS Sustainability Committee.
- Established a sub-committee to develop a proposal to fund initiatives to increase AAS meeting participation.