AASTCS 10: Extreme Solar Systems V
Tours & Activities
Extreme Solar Systems V
16 – 21 March 2024
Tips from Locals
- Christchurch Tram, Gondola, Punting on the Avon: Inexpensive ways to explore Christchurch
- Christchurch Art Gallery – Te Puna o Waiwhetū: One of Aotearoa New Zealand’s most important public art collections invites you to visit their collection for free, found a few minutes’ walk from Te Pae Convention Centre
- Isaac Theater Royal: Local music and events venue in a beautiful restored historic theater
- New Regent Quarter: Called “soul of the city”, Regent Street offers quirky boutique stores, bars, restaurant, and diverse entertainment
- Christchurch Public Library – Tūranga: The largest public library on the South Island, centered on the notion of mātauranga mana whenua – the body of knowledge that originates from the people of this place
- Christchurch Botanic Gardens - Te Māra Huaota o Waipapa: free admission to the public gardens that will delight all year round
- The Arts Centre – Te Matatiki Toi Ora: Once home to the original University of Canterbury, the Arts Centre now hosts galleries, museums, boutiques, eateries, and engaging events
- Rutherford’s Den: More than a museum - a whole world of science, history, discovery and wonder brought to life through exciting multi-sensory displays and hands-on experiences
- Lumière Cinema: Boutique cinema offering vintage ambience, luxurious seating, and a focus on service
- Cellar Door: Once the Canterbury College School of Art, Cellar Door now offers wine tasting flights as well as craft beer, cocktails, and spirits
- Guided walking tour of The Arts Centre: 90-minute guided tour of the gothic revival building, including tales of eccentric personalities, outrageous escapades, and the history of the Observatory Tower Townsend Teece antique telescope
Further Afield from Christchurch
A 90-minutes windy drive from Christchurch on Banks Peninsula, Akaroa is a historic French settlement nestled in the heart of an ancient volcano. Akaroa is a popular resort town. Hector's dolphins, seals, and penguins can be found within the harbour, and harbour cruises and 'swim with the dolphins' boat tours are available.
- Hanmer Springs
Found less than a 2 hours drive north from Christchurch - a lovely alpine village with walks, bike trails, activities, restaurants, shopping, and thermal hot pools.
- Lake Tekapo – Takapō
Lake Tekapo village is located next to a glacier-fed hydroelectric lake, about 3.5 hours south west of Christchurch. New Zealand's premier optical research observatory, the University of Canterbury Mt John Observatory is located nearby on Mt John Ōtehīwai, in the heart of the Aoraki Mackenzie International Dark Sky Reserve.
- Waipara Wine Region
A 50-minute drive north of Christchurch, this region is home to 90 + vineyards, most of them independently owned by a close-knit community of local families. The clay and limestone soils of the Waipara and Waikari valleys lends itself to high-quality Pinot Noir, Chardonnay, and Riesling. Pegasus Bay is highly recommended