New Individual Membership
Individual memberships are available to those actively involved in advancing astronomy or a related branch of science. Former members who have left the field are also welcome to rejoin as Alumni Affiliates. Application for admission to the AAS no longer requires nomination by two Full Members of the American Astronomical Society. [Note: Corporations and other entities desirous of encouraging the work of the Society should join as a Corporate Member.]
To join the Society:
- Read the eligibility requirements and choose the appropriate Membership Class.
- Complete the appropriate AAS Membership Form.
- Nomination by an AAS Full Member is an eligibility option when joining as a Full Member or International Affiliate. The nominating signature can be made directly on the Membership Form or endorsement can be sent via email.
- If you prefer the electronic method and you are applying through PDFfiller, write the name and email address of the endorser in Section #4 of your Membership Form. (Section #6 if you're applying for International Affiliate status.) This will trigger an email to be sent to your nominator, who will then reply back to the AAS directly with their endorsement.
- If you are using the printable PDF that is not posted on PDFfiller, ask the member furnishing the recommendation to send their electronic nomination to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The endorser should specify his/her full name and indicate in the message that they are nominating you (your name must be stated) as an AAS Member. The person's email address will be used for signature verification.
- Submit the completed form with payment to the AAS Executive Office.
Once we receive your application and process your payment (typically a 48-hour process during business hours), your contact information is entered into our in-house database.