AAS Congressional Visits Day 2018 Sign-Up Form
Every year the AAS brings volunteers to Washington, DC, to advocate for federal support of their science with their members of Congress for a Congressional Visits Day (CVD).
A few things to keep in mind while you consider volunteering for this opportunity:
- You must be an AAS member.
- You must be eligible to vote in the United States.
- Submitting this form does not guarantee you a slot in this year's CVD. Selected volunteers will be notified by mid-February 2018.
AAS CVD 2018 Details
Schedule: This year the AAS CVD will be held Monday-Wednesday, 12-14 March 2018.
- Monday, 12 March: OPTIONAL afternoon training session, approximately 1:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Tuesday, 13 March: REQUIRED all-day seminar on how to communicate effectively with policy makers, including some information on the issues that currently impact astronomy and science in general, approximately 8:00 am - 6:00 pm.
- Wednesday, 14 March: REQUIRED full day of meetings on Capitol Hill with congressional staffers.
Volunteer Selection: We aim to select at least 15 volunteers who balance the program by location, career stage, and experience. We especially encourage graduate students and early-career professionals to volunteer.
Travel Support: AAS has sufficient funds to reimburse most travel expenses related to the AAS CVD, including lodging, transportation, and meals. Selected volunteers should plan to arrive in Washington on Monday, 12 March (or Sunday evening, if necessary), and depart Wednesday evening, 14 March (or Thursday morning, if necessary). AAS will book hotel rooms, and volunteers are asked to consider sharing rooms to reduce cost and maximize our volunteer capacity.
How to Sign Up: Please use our CVD 2018 Sign-Up Form below. You’ll need to sign in to the website using your AAS username and password to submit the form. The deadline for application to AAS CVD 2018 is 5:00 pm EST on Friday, 26 January. Selected volunteers will be notified mid-February 2018.
NOTE: You must be logged in as an AAS member to submit this form. If you haven't already signed in, please click the "Sign in" link in the top right corner of the page. If you are having trouble viewing the form, then please email firstname.lastname@example.org.