History: Established at the 209th Meeting, January 2007 in Seattle, in response to a report from the Historical Astronomy Division (HAD).
Members: Twelve members nominated by the HAD Executive Committee on the basis of their professional qualifications relating to the preservation of sites, astronomical instruments, and historical documents. Two additional members will represent the concerns of active research observatories.
Term: Three years staggered, terms beginning and ending at the close of the annual summer meeting. Members may be re-appointed.
Chair: Nominated by the HAD Executive Committee; confirmed by the AAS Board of Trustees.
Charge: The Working Group is charged with developing and disseminating procedures, criteria and priorities for identifying, designating, and preserving astronomical structures, instruments, and records so that they will continue to be available for astronomical and historical research, for the teaching of astronomy, and for outreach to the general public.
- Preservation of Our Astronomical Heritage State of the Profession White Paper for Astro2020, 9 July 2019
- Preservation of Our Astronomical Heritage, 20 March 2019
- Letter of support for the preservation of Yerkes Observatory by AAS President Megan Donahue, 10 July 2018
- University of Chicago's Letter in Response, 1 August 2018
- Letter of support for the preservation of Shattuck Observatory by Christine Jones, 20 February 2018
- Assessment of the Abt Archive for the American Astronomical Society, 20–21 December 2017
- HAD / WGPAH Assessment and Recommendations on Astrophysical Journal Archive Policies, 26 May 2008
- Census of Astronomical Photographic Plates in North America, 10 October 2008
- Report of the April 2012 Workshop on preserving astronomical records, including photographic plates
- Schechner, Sara J. & Sliski, David. 2016, “The Scientific and Historical Value of Annotations on Astronomical Photographic Plates," JHA, 47, 3 http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2016JHA....47....3S
- Appendix 1: "Preservation Recommendations for Historic Glass Astronomical Plates"
Brenda Bernier & Elena Bulat
- Appendix 2: "Photography Recommendations for Historical Glass Plate Negatives"
Samantha van Gerbig & David Sliski
- Appendix 3: "Preservation Recommendations for Historic Photographic Jackets"
Sara Schechner & David Sliski
- Confidentiality Guidelines for the AAS Journals (part of the Professional and Ethical Standards for the AAS Journals)
- Increasing Editorial Discretion over Access to the Archives of the Publications of the AAS, 3 January 2017
The Working Group may interact with other academic, international, or governmental organizations, as appropriate to advance the preservation of astronomical heritage.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES LIAISON
- Jennifer L. Bartlett (Jun 2012 - Jun 2021); Note: Working Observatories
- Brenda G. Corbin (Jun 2010 - Jun 2021); Note: Archives
- Thomas A. Hockey (Jun 2015 - Jun 2021); Note: History of Astronomy
- Stephen C. McCluskey (Jun 2008 - Jun 2020); Note: Archaeoastronomy
- Wayne Osborn (Jun 2008 - Jun 2020); Note: Observational Data
- Richard J. Patterson (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021); Note: Historic Observatories
- Sara Schechner (Jun 2008 - Jun 2020); Note: Instruments
- Kevin Schindler (Jun 2017 - Jun 2020); Note: Working Observatories