Working Group on Astroinformatics and Astrostatistics (WGAA)
History: The WG was established at the 220th Meeting, June 2012 in Anchorage in response to a White Paper report submitted to the Astro2010 Decadal Survey.
Members: Any AAS member with an interest in these fields is invited to join.
Steering Committee: ~10 members including the chair; initially appointed by the Council and in successive terms, nominated by the Working Group and confirmed by the AAS Board of Trustees
Term: Three years staggered, with terms beginning and ending at the close of the annual summer meeting. Members may be re-appointed.
Chair: Initially appointed by Council after consultation with the inaugural WG members. In successive terms, nominated by the Working Group; confirmed by the AAS Board of Trustees.
Charge: The Working Group is charged with developing and spreading awareness of the applications of advanced computer science, statistics and allied branches of applied mathematics to further the goals of astronomical and astrophysical research.
The Working Group may interact with other academic, international, or governmental organizations, as appropriate, to advance the fields of astroinformatics and astrostatistics. It must report to the Board of Trustees annually on its activities, and is encouraged to make suggestions and proposals to the AAS leadership on ways to enhance the utility and visibility of its activities.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES LIAISON
- Aneta Siemiginowska, Chair (Jun 2012 - Jun 2019)
60 Garden St
Cambridge, MA 02138-1516 United States
Fax: (617) 495-7356
- Kirk D. Borne (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021); Note: Represents the IAA
- Tamas Budavari (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- Jessi Cisewski (Jun 2017 - Jun 2020); Note: Represents the ASA
- Gwendolyn Eadie (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Eric Feigelson (Jun 2012 - Jun 2019); Note: Represents the IAU
- Eric B. Ford (Jun 2012 - Jun 2019)
- Alyssa A. Goodman (Jun 2012 - Jun 2019)
- Matthew Graham (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Ashish A. Mahabal (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021); Note: Vice-Chair
- Joshua Goldston Peek (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Padma A. Yanamandra-Fisher (Jun 2012 - Jun 2019)
- C. Alex Young (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)