Mission: To enhance the participation of underrepresented minorities in Astronomy and Astrophysics at all levels of experience.
- To provide an overview of the status of minorities in Astronomy, including identifying areas of concerns and opportunities.To advise the AAS about these and formulate policies for the society to consider. To establish and maintain a statistical base on the participation of minorities in Astronomy over time.
- To act as a facilitator in the communication between minorities themselves, and the programs and jobs which might interest them. This includes putting students in contact with more advanced students or professionals, fostering "mentoring," and "networking" in aid of moving people into programs or jobs.
- To act as a central contact point to other societies or institutions with a useful relation to the mission.
Methods: The AAS will supply the CSMA with the resources needed to compile and maintain its informational databases. The CSMA will maintain and update a website (as part of the AAS website), which will make available to the community at large all appropriate information. It will be constructed to facilitate communication between those offering assistance, advice, education or employment, and those seeking it. The committee will actively publicize its efforts in appropriate forums to maximize the number of participants in its activities. The CSM will meet regularly, electronically or in person, to monitor its success and create new policies or activities. It will remain aware of other efforts germane to its mission, and make use of them (and avoid duplication) whenever possible.
History: An ad-hoc committee was established by Frank Shu. A full Committee was establish January 1997 for an initial period of four years. Formal operation began at the end of the Society's Business Meeting 11 June 1997.
Chair: Appointed by the Board of Trustees
Members: Appointed by the Board of Trustees
Term: Members serve three year terms, June to June. Members and Chairs may be re-appointed.
Charge: To enhance the participation of under-represented minorities in Astronomy and Astrophysics at all levels of experience.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES LIAISON
- Alyson Brooks (Jun 2014 - Jun 2020)
- Adam J. Burgasser (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- Nicole Cabrera Salazar (Aug 2018 - Jun 2019); Note: Co-Chair
- Kimberly A. Coble (Jun 2016 - Jun 2019)
- Samaiyah Farid (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Erin Elise Flowers (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Christopher S. Moore (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)
- Brianna Thomas (Jun 2018 - Jun 2021)