Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy (CAPP)
History: Established as Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy; merged with Committee on Communications to become Committee on Public Policy (June, 1982, 160th Meeting); present name adopted at 161st Meeting, Jan. 1983; committee reactivated (165th Meeting).
Members: Appointed by the AAS President with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees. Board of Trustee Liaisons appointed by President, with approval of the Board of Trustees; they serve ex-Officio.
Term: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Chair: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Charge: The committee shall communicate frequently in order to keep itself informed of current development in government science policies. It shall formulate and carry out initiatives of an informational and advocacy nature with governmental agencies and congressional committees. It shall bring frequently to the attention of the Board of Trustees the results of its activities and possible courses of action that Board may take. It shall maintain liaison with other professional societies which are engaged in closely related informational activities.
Mission: The mission of the AAS Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy is to support and develop policies that advance the astronomical sciences in the United States.
BOARD OF TRUSTEES LIAISON
- Joel N. Bregman, Chair (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor
1085 S University Ave
Dept of Astronomy
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1107 United States
Fax: (734) 763-6317
- Heather Bloemhard (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Blake M. Bullock (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- C. R. Canizares (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Megan Donahue (Jun 2018 - Jun 2020); Note: President
- Todd J. Henry (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Thomas M. Koshut (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Makenzie B. Lystrup (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Dara J. Norman (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- John O'Meara (Jun 2018 - Jun 2019)
- Ashlee N. Wilkins (Sep 2017 - Jun 2019)