Skip to main content
- Astrobites has a number of helpful articles for students interested in an academic career, including:
Getting Started in Undergraduate Research
So You Want to Apply for an REU... Here’s How
Applying to Grad School in the US: A Timeline
Applying for the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- A Career in Undergraduate Education
- For undergraduates: AIP's Society of Physics Students Careers Toolbox
- AAS member Robin Corbet has provided the AAS with a result from his 2004 survey of academic astronomy and physics programs in the US. It shows the number of assistant, associate, and full professors as a function of years from PhD.
- APS's "Tools for Career Advisors"
- APS's "Careers" page discussing various aspects of the career path
- APS and AAPT Joint Report on Preparing Physics Students for 21st Century Careers
- PhD's.org page discussing Academic Jobs
- Science magazine article "Learn to read between the lines of a job ad" by David Jensen
- Ph.D. Resources for Re-envisioning the Ph.D.
- Resources for the Development of Early Career Scientists -- Downloadable Book
- Tomorrow's Professor Listserv Site – The listserv sends emails a few times a week with information about teaching, research, tenure, and other topics of academic interest.
- SabbaticalHomes.com – A website dedicated to helping academic communities around the world find or list houses for rent, exchange, or house-sit when on sabbatical leave.
- Jennifer Hodgdon on Leaving Academic Physics – An article covering many aspects of career change.
- Enhancing the Postdoctoral Experience for Scientists and Engineers – A Guide for Postdoctoral Scholars, Advisers, Institutions, Funding Organizations, and Disciplinary Societies
- Science magazine article "'Employment Crisis' for new PhDs an illusion" by Jeffrey Mervis
- "Landing Your First Job," by John S. Rigden. June 2003, Springer-Verlag New York, LLC
- "A PhD is Not Enough!: A Guide to Survival in Science", by Peter J. Feibelman. June, 1993, Basic Books.
- "Tomorrow's Professor: Preparing for Academic Careers in Science and Engineering", by Richard M. Reis. 1997, Wiley-IEEE Press.
- "The Professor is In: The Essential Guide to Turning Your PhD into a Job", by Karen Kelsky. Sugust, 2015, Three Rivers Press.
- The Right Startup Package for Beginning Scientists
- Astronomy: The Search for a Stellar Career – Science magazine article on astronomy careers
- Gaining Tenure: Rules Your Chairman Never Told You