Every year the AAS brings volunteers to Washington, DC, to advocate for federal support of science with their members of Congress during Congressional Visits Day (CVD). This is part of a coordinated effort to gather scientists, engineers, researchers, educators, and technology executives in the nation’s capital to raise visibility and support for science, engineering, and technology.
This year the AAS CVD was held 15-16 March 2016. Check back in mid-December 2016 for details about CVD 2017.
Past CVD participants have written about their experience for the Policy Blog:
- "An Early Introduction to Advocating for the Astronomical Sciences," by Ashley Tucker
- "Why You Should Participate in CVD & Advocate for Astronomy," by Kelly Korreck
- "Organizing a Local Visit with My House Representative," by Sara Barber
- "Congressional Visits Day from an Undergraduate Perspective," Part 1 and Part 2, by Anna Ho
- "Guest Post: My Experience with the Congressional Visits Day," by Ramin Skiba
Press releases and staff summaries for past CVDs:
- U.S. Astronomers Make Case for Science During Annual Congressional Visits Day (2010)
- U.S. Astronomers Make Case for Investments in R&D During Annual Congressional Visits Day (2012)
- American Astronomers Call on Congress to Support Investments in Research & Development (2013)
- US Astronomers Encourage Investments in Science on Capitol Hill (2014)
- AAS Congressional Visits Day 2015 a Resounding Success (2015)
- US Astronomers Discuss Importance of Federal Investment in Science with Congress (2016)
CVD 2016 participants after their day of Hill visits. Left to right: Emily Moravec, Massimiliano Galeazzi, Kristina Punzi, Josh Shiode,Trevor Picard, Christina Davis, Alex Lanzano, Allison Kirkpatrick, Ye Pei, Peter Frinchaboy, Amir Caspi, DK Krishnarao, Henry Prager, Heather Bloemhard, Ashlee Wilkins, Dan Scolnic, & John O'Meara. Not pictured: Lauren Corlies, Jennifer Greenamoyer, & Joel Parriott. AAS photo.
The links below [for members only] will take you to pages with instructions for volunteers related to each aspect of the event.
- Travel & Accommodations [UPDATED Wednesday 10 March 2016]
- Arranging Meetings with Policymakers and Their Staff [UPDATED Tuesday 10 February 2015]
- Itinerary [UPDATED Tuesday 10 March 2015]
- Selected Web Resources [UPDATED Friday 14 March 2014]