AAS Prizes and Awards
Nominations for these prizes and awards are due each year by 30 June:
- Annie Jump Cannon Award in Astronomy — for distinguished contributions by a woman.
- Chambliss Amateur Achievement Award — for exemplary research by an amateur astronomer.
- Chambliss Astronomical Writing Award — for astronomy writing for an academic audience.
- Education Prize — for outstanding contributions to astronomy education.
- Dannie Heineman Prize for Astrophysics — awarded jointly with the AIP for outstanding mid-career work in astrophysics.
- Newton Lacy Pierce Prize in Astronomy — for outstanding early-career achievement in observational research.
- Henry Norris Russell Lectureship — for lifetime preeminence in astronomical research.
- Beatrice M. Tinsley Prize — for outstanding research of an exceptionally creative or innovative character.
- George Van Biesbroeck Prize — for long-term extraordinary or unselfish service to astronomy.
- Helen B. Warner Prize for Astronomy — for significant early-career observational or theoretical research.
- Joseph Weber Award for Astronomical Instrumentation — for the design, invention, or improvement of instrumentation.
*Self-nominations are now allowed for all the AAS prizes and awards listed above.
These prizes and awards have different deadlines and nomination procedures:
- The Priscilla and Bart Bok Awards — awarded jointly with the ASP for excellence in observational and/or instrumental astronomy by high-school students.
- Lancelot M. Berkeley − New York Community Trust Prize for Meritorious Work in Astronomy — for recent meritorious work.
- Chambliss Astronomy Achievement Student Awards — for exemplary research presented at AAS meetings by undergraduates and graduate students.
- Rodger Doxsey Travel Prizes — for dissertation presentations at winter AAS meetings.
- Kavli Foundation Plenary Lectureship — for a special invited talk on recent research of great importance.
- Award for Public Service to the Astronomical Sciences — for outstanding public service in support of the astronomical sciences.
Division Prizes and Awards
Division for Planetary Sciences (DPS)
- Harold Masursky Meritorious Service Award
- Gerard P. Kuiper Prize
- Harold C. Urey Prize
- Carl Sagan Medal
- Jonathan Eberhart Award
Division on Dynamical Astronomy (DDA)
High Energy Astrophysics Division (HEAD)
Historical Astronomy Division (HAD)
Laboratory Astrophysics Division (LAD)
- Laboratory Astrophysics Prize
- Early Career Award
Solar Physics Division (SPD)