AAS 197, January 2001
Session 77. Galaxy Evolution II
Display, Wednesday, January 10, 2001, 9:30am-7:00pm, Exhibit Hall

[Previous] | [Session 77] | [Next]

[77.17] The Morphology of Extremely Red Objects

M. Stiavelli (Space Telescope Science Institute), T. Treu (Caltech)

We briefly present our survey of Extremely Red Objects (EROs) with HST/NICMOS and deep ground-based images and summarize its results. We use the high-resolution NICMOS images to sub-divide EROs into morphological classes, tentatively arguing that about 60 % of EROs (18 out of 30) are early-type galaxies. About 20 % (6 out of 30 objects) appear to be flattened disk systems. Another 10 % (3 out of 30) have an irregular morphology. Thus, combining disk and irregular systems, our data are compatible with 30 % of EROs being dusty starbursts. A small fraction (3 out of 30) appear point-like even on the HST images and could therefore be either compact high redshift galaxies or stars in the Milky Way halo.

The author(s) of this abstract have provided an email address for comments about the abstract: mstiavel@stsci.edu

[Previous] | [Session 77] | [Next]