History: Established in 2001. The first award was bestowed in 2002.
Members: Appointed in January by the Council.
Term: Three years, June to June.
Chair: Appointed by the Council. Serves from one annual business meeting to the next: June - June.
Charge: Nominates candidates for the Joseph Weber Award for Astronomical Instrumentation.
About the Prize: The AAS's Joseph Weber Award for Astronomical Instrumentation is to be awarded to an individual, of any nationality, for the design, invention or significant improvement of instrumentation (not software) leading to advances in astronomy. No restrictions are placed on a candidate's citizenship or country of residency.
In order that the scientific impact of the instrumentation may be assessed properly, a considerable period of time may have elapsed between the development of the instrumentation and the granting of the Award.
- Alan K. Uomoto, Chair (Jun 2013 - Jun 2016)
813 Santa Barbara St
Pasadena, CA 91101-1232 United States
Fax: (626) 795-8136
- Reba M. Bandyopadhyay (Jun 2015 - Jun 2018)
- Michelle L. Edwards (Jun 2015 - Jun 2018)
- Robert A. Fesen (Jun 2014 - Jun 2017)
- R. Scott Fisher (Jan 2013 - Jun 2016)
- Margaret Meixner (Jun 2012 - Aug 2015)