- Jack O. Burns, Chair (Jun 2001 - Jul 2013)
Univ. of Colorado at Boulder
Boulder, CO 80309-0593 United States
Fax: (303) 492-4052
- Dennis Ebbets (Jul 2001 - Jun 2013)
- Debra M. Elmegreen (Jun 2009 - Jun 2013)
- Eileen D. Friel (May 2011 - May 2013)
- Neil Gehrels (May 2011 - Jul 2013)
- David J. Helfand (May 2011 - May 2013)
- Lynne Hillenbrand (May 2011 - May 2013)
- Jon Todd Hoeksema (Jun 2012 - Jun 2013)
- Thomas M. Koshut (May 2011 - May 2013)
- Carey M. Lisse (Jun 2012 - Jun 2013)
- James D. Lowenthal (Jun 2012 - Jun 2013)
- Kevin B. Marvel (Jun 2007 - Jun 2013)
- Matt Mountain (Jun 2012 - Jun 2013)
- Lee Anne M. Willson (Jun 2012 - Jun 2013)
History: Established as Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy; merged with Committee on Communications to become Committee on Public Policy (June, 1982, 160th Meeting); present name adopted at 161st Meeting, Jan. 1983; committee reactivated (165th Meeting).
Members: Appointed by the AAS President with consent of the Council Council Liaisons appointed by President, with approval of the Council; they serve ex-Officio.
Term: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Chair: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Charge: The committee shall communicate frequently in order to keep itself informed of current development in government science policies. It shall formulate and carry out initiatives of an informational and advocacy nature with governmental agencies and congressional committees. It shall bring frequently to the attention of Council the results of its activities and possible courses of action that Council may take. It shall maintain liaison with other professional societies which are engaged in closely related informational activities.