Search form

Why do I keep getting these "AAS Action Alerts" in my email?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:49 -- Joel.Parriott

Occasionally, an action by government that could have a negative (or positive) impact on astronomy must be stopped (or supported). At these times, a rapid, grassroots-level action on the part of the AAS membership can create a truly positive result in Congress or in other areas of government.

When one of these times arrives, the Policy Fellow works with the Executive Officer and the Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy creates an AAS Action Alert. This is then emailed to the appropriate sub-group of the AAS membership.

Besides funding, what else does the government do to either support or harm Astronomy?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:48 -- Joel.Parriott

The government has other impacts on astronomy besides the obvious one of providing funds for research and research facilities. Policies on education, for example stipend levels allowed under research grants, or student loan tax credits are both set by the Government. Policies regarding land use can have an obvious impact on astronomy. Governmental panels can make decisions about how many federal agencies should fund astronomy. The Federal Communications Commission manages spectrum use and can have both helpful and harmful impacts on astronomy.

What is Public Policy?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:46 -- Joel.Parriott

Public policy is a catchall phrase that includes actions of and interactions with both Congress and the Executive branch. It also captures activities of the AAS that can have an impact in the wider arena of public life, such as creating and endorsing statements related to science, science policy or other issues.

What is the AAS policy on use of mailing lists?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:41 -- faye.peterson

Postal Addresses
The AAS will permit use of the mailing list by commercial and non-commercial organizations. Details of products or events must be submitted and judged to be of potential interest to a significant fraction of the membership. Authorization is given for one-time use of the list on each occasion. A small fee is charged to cover handling. The AAS mailing list is never sold to firms unrelated to astronomy or science.

Does the AAS have funds to support travel to AAS meetings?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:37 -- TRACY.ROWE

The Rodger Doxsey Travel Prize provides graduate students or postdocs within one year of receiving or receipt of their PhD a monetary prize to enable the oral presentation of their dissertation research at a winter meeting of the AAS.  Other than the Doxsey prize the the AAS does not have funds to support travel by members or nonmembers to its meetings. The AAS International Travel Grant Program only provides support for US based astronomers to travel to meetings held outside the US.

What are AAS meetings like?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:30 -- LISA.IDEM

AAS meetings are dynamic gatherings of professional astronomers from around the world. The winter meetings typically boast 2000 participants or more. The four days are filled with scientific sessions, both poster and oral as well as invited sessions from prominent researchers with exciting results. The summer meetings have topical sessions, which are more lengthy oral sessions focused on particular topics. The meeting program is decided upon by the three vice-Presidents with logistical details provided by the AAS meeting coordinator.

Where are AAS meetings held?

Fri, 2012-08-17 12:29 -- LISA.IDEM

Currently the winter meeting location rotates between four cities, Washington, D.C.; Austin, Texas; Seattle, Washington; and Long Beach, California. Summer meetings are held in a variety of locations, which are chosen by the Council in response to proposals from interested institutions.

Where are the full articles from meetings published? I only see the abstracts.

Fri, 2012-08-17 11:57 -- megan.feeley

We only publish the abstracts. We do not publish full articles based on meeting presentations in the Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society (BAAS). You could search the NASA Astrophysics Data System to see if the BAAS author published in other journals on the same topic. Or you could search the web for the author's institution and see if anything is published on the author's own website.

Do I have to send my application for a grant through my institution's grants office?

Fri, 2012-08-17 11:53 -- TRACY.ROWE

This requirement varies from institution to institution. However, the International Travel Grant and the Small Research Grant are paid in the form of a check made out to the individual and no institutional overhead can be charged to these grants. The AAS hopes that all institutions will value the benefits of these grant programs to their researchers and waive any claim to overhead. If overhead must be paid, the AAS will not issue the grant to the recipient.


Subscribe to American Astronomical Society RSS