225th Meeting Travel and Lodging
The AAS has secured a block of rooms for our meeting attendees at the following hotels.
Grand Hyatt Seattle
Sheraton Seattle Hotel and Towers
Add'l Guests: $20 per guest
Add'l Guests: $25 per guest
All rooms rates are subject to 15.6% plus $2 per room tax per night.
Reservations must be made by 19 December 2014 to ensure the group rate.
The AAS Warns about Housing Pirates
A housing pirate is an unauthorized housing provider that often claims a vague affiliation with a conference and offers reduced rates to attendees. The AAS Executive Office is the official housing bureau for the 225th AAS Meeting in Seattle, WA and only they can guarantee room reservations and rates.
Be careful when entering into a financial agreement with any unofficial companies, as their legitimacy and policies may be questionable and show management will not be able to provide a resolution to issues related to such reservations. If another company besides the AAS contacts you, please contact the AAS Executive Office immediately at 202-328-2010 x106. Use the direct links below to ensure your reservation.
Frequently Asked Questions?
- Why should I book at these hotels?
The hotel rates that the American Astronomical Society (AAS) has negotiated include many benefits for you and for AAS. Based on the number of rooms in our block of hotel rooms, the hotels provide complimentary meeting room space, event space, staff accommodations, and reduced food and beverage charges. These savings are passed on to attendees through AAS’s inexpensive registration rates. If AAS is unable to meet its room-block commitment because attendees are making reservations at other hotels, the hotel may either charge us an attrition fee or remove some of the concessions to make up the lost revenue. If this were to become a trend, AAS would be forced to increase the registration fee.
- Is it important for me to let the reservations agent know that I'm associated with the AAS meeting?
Yes. AAS receives credit only when registrants tell hotel staff that they are attending the 225th AAS Meeting. Please make sure the reservations agent knows you are attending the AAS meeting — whether you or someone else makes your reservation — or make your reservation through the link on the AAS site and it will be handled automatically.
- Why does AAS reserve a block of rooms?
AAS reserves a block of rooms to assure availability of rooms for meeting attendees, especially during the tourist season, when it can be very difficult to find an affordable hotel room. In addition, if AAS didn't reserve a block of rooms, we would be subject to room rental fees and full food and beverage costs, which would greatly increase the cost of holding the meeting.
- What is AAS doing to reduce these attrition fees and still keep the meeting affordable?
AAS tracks sleeping room reservations and cancellations at the meeting so that it can more accurately block a number of rooms that will be filled by attendees in the future. However, every discount we receive at a hotel is based on the number of room nights we block, so as we reduce our block, we are consequently paying more for other services at the hotel. Reducing the block means that attendees will either have to pay a higher registration fee or possibly that the level and/or quantity of services and events will be lowered.
Please stay at The Sheraton Seattle Hotel and Towers, Westin Seattle, Hilton Seattle or Grand Hyatt Seattle – the chosen Headquarters Hotels for the 225th AAS Meeting!
Roommate Search Forum
Are you looking for a roommate to share the lodging expenses at the 225th AAS Meeting? Take advantage of the Roommate Search Forum to locate a match.
From Seattle/Tacoma International Airport (SEA), approximately 25.75 km/16.0 miles from the Convention Center
- Depart from the third floor of the parking garage, follow signs to ground transportation, taxis.
- Approximate fare is $55 each way
Downtown Airporter by Shuttle Express
- Downtown Airporter departs from Level 3 of the parking garage, island 2. Follow the signs to ground transportation, taxis, limos, hotel shuttles on the third floor of the parking garage. Make reservation.
- Tickets: Adult tickets are $18 USD/person one-way, $31 USD/person round-trip; children 17 and under ride free (one per paying adult); additional youth ride at adult price.
- Hours: Departures from SeaTac Airport and downtown Seattle 24-hours day, every day. Leaves SeaTac Airport approximately every 30 minutes. Service on-demand during off peak times, reservations are recommended.
- For more information or to make a reservation: (855) 566-3300
Preferred Shuttle Express Town Car Service
- One-way to/from airport starts at $59 USD
- Make a Reservation for pick-up/drop-off.
- Guests can ride Sound Transit's Link Light Rail from downtown to the airport
- Cost: $2.75 each way
- Time: 35 minutes each way
- Westlake Station is approximately 3 blocks from Washington State Convention Center, and is central to all conference hotels.
Parking at the Washington State Convention Center
AAS Discount Code: CV#022Q7227