Individual memberships are available to those actively involved in astronomy or a related branch of science. Application for admission to the AAS requires nomination by two Full Members of the American Astronomical Society. [Note: Corporations and other entities desirous of encouraging the work of the Society should join as a Corporate Member.]
To join the Society:
- Read the eligibility requirements and choose the appropriate Membership Class.
- Complete the appropriate AAS Membership Form.
- Obtain nominating signatures from two AAS Full Members. These signatures are essential to becoming an AAS member. The nominating signatures can be made directly on the Membership Form or endorsements can be sent via email.
- If you prefer the electronic method, write the name and email address of the endorsers in the signature section of your Membership Form.
- Have the member(s) furnishing the recommendation send their electronic nomination to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Endorsers should specify his/her full name and indicate in the message that they are nominating you (your name must be stated) as an AAS Member. The person's email address will be used for signature verification.
- Submit the completed form with payment to the AAS Executive Office.
Once we receive your application and process your payment (typically a three week process), your contact information is entered into our in-house database and a "New Member" packet is sent to you. The packet contains information on member benefits and the most recent print publications including the AAS Membership Directory.
You may begin receiving email communications from the Society before you receive the "New Member" packet. This simply represents the efficiency of email communication versus surface mail.