History: Established at the 209th Meeting, January 2007 in Seattle, in response to a report from the Historical Astronomy Division (HAD).
Members: Twelve members nominated by the HAD Executive Committee on the basis of their professional qualifications relating to the preservation of sites, astronomical instruments, and historical documents. Two additional members will represent the concerns of active research observatories.
Term: Three years staggered, terms beginning and ending at the close of the Annual Summer Meeting. Members may be re-appointed.
Chair: Nominated by the HAD Executive Committee; confirmed by the AAS Council.
Charge: The Working Group is charged with developing and disseminating procedures, criteria and priorities for identifying, designating, and preserving astronomical structures, instruments, and records so that they will continue to be available for astronomical and historical research, for the teaching of astronomy, and for outreach to the general public.
- Census of Astronomical Photographic Plates in North America, 10 October 2008
- Report of the April 2012 Workshop on preserving astronomical records, including photographic plates
The Working Group may interact with other academic, international, or governmental organizations, as appropriate to advance the preservation of astronomical heritage.
- James M. Lattis, Chair (Jun 2010 - Jun 2014)
University of Wisconsin - Madison
475 N Charter St
Madison, WI 53706-1507 United States
Fax: (608) 263-0361
Note: (Historical Observatories)
- Todd W. Bostwick (Aug 2012 - Jun 2013); Note: (Archaeo-Astronomy)
- Brenda G. Corbin (Aug 2012 - Jun 2015); Note: (Archives)
- David H. DeVorkin (Jan 2007 - Jun 2013); Note: (Instruments)
- R. E. M. Griffin (Jun 2007 - Jun 2013); Note: (Observational Data)
- G. W. Lockwood (Aug 2012 - Jun 2014); Note: (Working Observatories)
- Stephen C. McCluskey (Aug 2012 - Jun 2014); Note: (Archaeo-Astronomy)
- Edward M. Murphy (Aug 2012 - Aug 2015); Note: (Historical Observatories)
- Wayne Osborn (Aug 2012 - Jun 2014); Note: (Observational Data)
- Sara Schechner (Aug 2012 - Jun 2014); Note: (Instruments)
- Virginia L. Trimble (Jun 2007 - Jun 2013); Note: (Archives)