About the USNC: The U.S. National Committee for the International Astronomical Union (USNC/IAU) represents the interests of the U.S. astronomical community and safeguards the intellectual vigor of the Union. The USNC/IAU explores issues in:
- Interdisciplinary Research and Resources;
- Individual IAU Membership;
- Access to Scientific Data and Information;
- Diversity Among Astronomers; and
- Young Researcher Participation in IAU.
Members: The USNC is composed of officers and five categories of other representatives all supported by staff of the National Research Council. The AAS elects three members to the USNC to represent the AAS (so-called Category I), three members to represent the AAS Council (so-called Category II) and has representation in Category IV, which are ex-officio voting members. In addition the Secretary of the USNC is the Secretary of the AAS.
Term: Three years, Jan. - Dec.
Chair: Dr. Lynne Hillenbrand
Charge: Effects appropriate participation by the United States in International Astronomical Union through the National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council.
- Lynne Hillenbrand, Chair (Jan 2015 - Dec 2016)
California Institute of Technology
Dept of Astronomy
Pasadena, CA 91125-0001 United States
- Edward F. Guinan (Jan 2008 - Dec 2016); Note: Past Chair
- Steven D. Kawaler (Jan 2014 - Dec 2017); Note: Category II - (Appointed)
- Kenneth I. Kellermann (Jan 2015 - Dec 2016); Note: Vice Chair
- Arlo U. Landolt (Jan 2008 - Dec 2016); Note: Category I - (Elected)
- Kevin B. Marvel (Jan 2015 - Dec 2017); Note: Category II - (Appointed)
- David R. Soderblom (Jun 2014 - Dec 2017); Note: Category I - (Elected)