Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy (CAPP)
History: Established as Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy; merged with Committee on Communications to become Committee on Public Policy (June, 1982, 160th Meeting); present name adopted at 161st Meeting, Jan. 1983; committee reactivated (165th Meeting).
Members: Appointed by the AAS President with the advice and consent of the Executive Committee. Council Liaisons appointed by President, with approval of the Council; they serve ex-Officio.
Term: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Chair: One year, June to June, from the close of one Annual Members' Meeting to the close of the next Annual Members' Meeting.
Charge: The committee shall communicate frequently in order to keep itself informed of current development in government science policies. It shall formulate and carry out initiatives of an informational and advocacy nature with governmental agencies and congressional committees. It shall bring frequently to the attention of Council the results of its activities and possible courses of action that Council may take. It shall maintain liaison with other professional societies which are engaged in closely related informational activities.
Mission: The mission of the AAS Committee on Astronomy and Public Policy is to support and develop policies that advance the astronomical sciences in the United States.
- Debra M. Elmegreen, Chair (Jun 2009 - Aug 2015)
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy
124 Raymond Avenue
Poughkeepsie, NY 12604-0001 United States
Fax: (845) 437-5995
- Nancy S. Brickhouse (Jun 2014 - Aug 2015)
- Blake M. Bullock (Jun 2014 - Aug 2015)
- Neil Gehrels (Jun 2011 - Aug 2015)
- David J. Helfand (Jun 2011 - Aug 2015)
- Lynne Hillenbrand (Jun 2011 - Aug 2015)
- Jon Todd Hoeksema (Jun 2012 - Aug 2015)
- Thomas M. Koshut (Jun 2011 - Aug 2015)
- James D. Lowenthal (Jun 2012 - Aug 2015)
- Makenzie B. Lystrup (Jun 2013 - Aug 2015)
- Kevin B. Marvel (Jun 2007 - Aug 2015)
- Matt Mountain (Jun 2012 - Aug 2015)
- John O'Meara (Jun 2014 - Aug 2015)
- Joel R. Parriott (Jun 2013 - Jun 2017)
- Joshua H. Shiode (Jun 2013 - Aug 2015)
- C. Megan Urry (Jun 2013 - Jun 2016)