Previous | Session 162 | Next | Author Index | Block Schedule
D.D. Kocevski (Univsity of Hawaii), H. Ebeling, R.B. Tully (University of Hawaii), C.R. Mullis (University of Michigan)
I report on recent findings from the Clusters in the Zone of Avoidance (CIZA) project, which is mapping the large-scale matter distribution hidden behind the Galactic plane by performing the first systematic search for X-ray luminous galaxy clusters at low Galactic latitudes. The CIZA survey has thus far discovered over 200 galaxy clusters previously hidden by the Milky Way and we have used this sample to reveal the nature of the Great Attractor region and determine the origin of the Local Group's peculiar motion. Despite the discovery of several massive clusters in the Great Attractor complex, we find that the region contains far fewer X-ray luminous clusters than would be expected if it were as massive as originally proposed. We also find that only 44% of the Local Group's motion toward the CMB dipole is due to infall into the Great Attractor region, while the remaining 56% is in the form of a large-scale bulk flow induced by more distant superclusters such as the Shapley concentration. This work was supported by funding from the NASA Graduate Student Research Program (GSRP).
If you would like more information about this abstract, please follow the link to www.ifa.hawaii.edu/~kocevski. This link was provided by the author. When you follow it, you will leave the Web site for this meeting; to return, you should use the Back comand on your browser.
Previous | Session 162 | Next
Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society, 37 #4
© 2005. The American Astronomical Soceity.